Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content
Professional Master's Program

Applicants should have an undergraduate degree in a physical science, engineering, mathematics or computer science (or related disciplines) and an average GPA of 3.0 in relevant undergraduate physical science courses. Undergraduate coursework equivalent to intermediate-level physics classes (beyond introductory, 100-level courses) is required.

If your undergraduate degree is a BA, or BS in in life sciences or social sciences, you may consider fulfilling the prerequisite requirements by taking undergraduate physics classes as a post baccalaureate student at UW.  Contact us for advice on what you may need to qualify.

Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency. The ways in which proficiency can be demonstrated are outlined in Memo 8: Graduate School English Language Proficiency Requirements.

Evening courses meet two nights per week and may be taken either individually or as a course of study leading to a Master of Science degree in Physics. Most non-laboratory courses now include the option of online attendance. Students typically complete the requirements in three years by enrolling in one late afternoon or evening class each quarter of the academic year. Students can take classes at a faster pace if they wish to complete the program in a shorter time. Courses of study that emphasize particular areas can be arranged according to individual interests. Examples of specialized tracks created by students in recent years have included: Acoustics, Laser physics, Mathematical modeling, Optics, Surface physics, Physics instrumentation and Physics education.

Important Announcements
  • Online Info Session
    Learn more about the Master of Science in Physics at our next online information session.

    January 19, 2017, Noon – 1 p.m.
    To be notified of upcoming information sessions, please sign up to receive email via the “Stay Connected” box to the left.
  • Slides shown at new student orientation on 9/27/17 - answers to common questions.
  • 1-Credit PHYS 600 course:
    Students who need to add 1 credit to reach half-time student status may register for a special 1 credit independent study course offered each term. Contact Professor Jeffrey Wilkes,